Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Chief End of God and the Chief End of Man

"I learned when I was a boy that the chief end of man was to glorify God and enjoy Him forever: but I hear now according to the new theology that the chief end of God is to glorify man and to enjoy man forever, yet this is the turning of things upside down. " 

     On my husband’s desktop wallpaper there is a picture of pastor Charles Spurgeon with the above quote. I have seen that wallpaper every time I have entered the office. Each time I have viewed it I thought I knew what it meant, but I was wrong.
     The Westminster Catechism teaches that the chief end of man is to glorify God enjoy Him forever. We glorify God. What does that mean?
If you had asked me two weeks ago, I would have given you a much different answer than I would now. I truly thought that glorifying God involved how much I did for Him. My focus involved judging others regarding their views on life and theology. I pompously placed myself on a different playing field because in my mind I felt I had something figured out that others did not. It was almost as if God had let me in on a secret that the rest of the world wasn’t allowed to understand. But thankfully we serve a sovereign God who exercises grace; even to me in my arrogance.
     I realized that no matter how many books I read or what I did for others, God is still God. We are not saved by our works, but we do work because we are saved to further the kingdom and to honor the will of the Father. Believers are saved by grace that we cannot attain on our own merit, and that grace continues our growth. We don’t do anything, God is everything.
     The Bible compares people to sheep (Isaiah 53:6). For lack of a better term, we are stupid, insignificant, and full of iniquity. We tend to think of ourselves as more important than we truly are. Many of us tend to think that God owes us something. I myself have stood before the Throne of the Almighty with a list of things I expected from God. God does answer prayers, and my life is an example of His mercy, however, just because I pray for something doesn’t mean my prayer will be answered in the manner that I expect it to be. 
     There is a big point that we tend to forget, even Christ in his earthly body did not pray for His own will to be done, but the Father’s (Luke 22:42). This life is not about us. Even in our own lives, God is still the main character. We are to glorify Him and enjoy Him forever.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a good post! This is probably the most random comment you'll get, but I found your blog through a comment I saw that Linda Alford made on one of your posts on Facebook (a great Elizabeth Elliot quote :) Anyway, Linda has delivered my two babies and will deliver our 3rd in March, Lord willing. She told me your story, and you have been in my prayers so much since then. I cannot imagine what you are going through. Your trust in God through this heartache is amazing and such a huge testimony.

    ReplyDelete